I recently got a Kindle and while I like to hold and use it without any kind of case, I wanted something to use while transporting it. For example, I didn’t like the idea of sticking it in my hand luggage unprotected as it would be easy for something to press against he screen and either scratch or break it.
There are many options out there, but I figured I would try and make my own. Here are two views of it showing the exterior and interior
The remainder of the article will explain how it was made.
The only money I spent on this was $5.00 for the notebook. All the other materials were found around my home. Here is a list of what was used to make the case:
- Notebook (5 3/4″ x 8 1/4″ and about 5/8″ thick)
- Scraps of wood
- Wood glue
- Self-adhesive felt
- Hair band
The first task was to find the shell. I was browsing in a book store and saw the notebook I would eventually use. The cover had a photo of some old books which seemed very appropriate and the size was perfect. Not only the height and width, but also the thickness.
The next step was to remove the paper. All I wanted was the cover itself. The paper was easy to remove with an exacto knife, cutting along the edge at the front and back. The whole book then easily separated:
Since I don’t plan to use read the Kindle while in the case, I didn’t need to worry about trying to secure it while open. It would be sufficient to have it simply rest within the case. I also wanted it to be easy to remove the kindle when I did want to read. I decided to use 2 C-shaped pieces of wood, one at the top and one at the bottom. Rather than join three pieces for each section, the whole piece was cut out of a single piece of wood.
These were then glued in placed with wood glue and clamped. I then added a thin strip on the left side to help with spacing.
Here is the Kindle dry-fitted. Note the small hole drilled on the right which will be used for the band to keep the book closed later on:
An elastic will be used to keep the book closed. For this, I used an extra hair band that my daughter had.
The next step was to felt-line the inside. For this, I used some self-adhesive red felt that was left over from a previous project. The band was threaded through the hole and sewn together to form a loop.